Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Nativity


I used to adore the little Nativity set that we had when I was a child.  We would put it out in December, but, my father would always keep the baby Jesus aside and not let it be included in the display until Christmas morning!  I enjoyed staring at the various pieces, but wasn't allowed to play with them.  O I so wanted to! But I would imagine what it was like for the people and the animals who got to witness the birth of the King of Kings!  And occasionally, my mother would allow me to "reposition" them, heheh, as I dreamt up stories and conversations that they were having.  
So anyhoo, my card - I enjoyed making this scene card so much - and it is super easy to do the colouring in the background when you have the reposition-able no-fuss masks to help you out.  I would highly recommend you get them for this stamp set, because it makes putting them into a scene so much easier.  
After I had the characters all stamped out and coloured with Copic markers,  I masked them up, and then began to fill in the sky.  For the sky and ground, I started with Oxide inks: I created the glow around the star with Squeezed Lemonade, then blended into Prize Ribbon and Black Soot to really darken the outer corners.   Then for the ground, I used some Shabby Shutters, Twisted Citron, Peeled Paint, and again a bit of Black Soot to darken the outer edges. The appearance of mist just happened - that is the beauty of the Oxide inks.  It leaves a bit of a foggy, misty glow which is perfect for this particular scene!
Once I had laid down those colours, I used some coloured pencils to fill in some details - to colour in some hills, some details of grass, and the starburst around the star.  I also used coloured pencils on the characters as well, overtop of the Copic layer, to deepen up some of the shadows.  The final touch was to add stars in the sky with a white paint pen.  It did take me a good bit of time, but I am thrilled with the result!
Thanks so much for looking!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment