Saturday, May 29, 2010

For My Niece



Hello Peeps.  I hope your weekend is shaping up nicely.  Blessings to my neighbours to the South, who are having their Memorial Day Weekend.  Here in Canada, we had a holiday last Monday, to celebrate Victoria Day, or the Queen's Birthday.   But this weekend is business as usual for us.  :-)
I must tell you about a new store I found here in my Province of Ontario: It is called "LSL Diversified".  AMAZING store - LOW LOW PRICES everyday on COPICS and TIM HOLTZ stuff and everything.  In fact, I don't know of any other Canadian store that sells Copic Sketch markers at her price: $5.50 each! You read it right!  And that is the REGULAR price!!!  (I know, I sound like an ad announcer... I'm just so excited I found them!) They put my order together SUPER FAST  and had EXCELLENT customer service!  I can't say enough about them!  I don't work for them in any way.  I am just sending all my Canadian buddies there because I have been SO happy with the service, prices, and products available. 
I made this card for my lovely niece who needs a cheer up right now.   This fairy named, "Ophelia" is one of my illustrations from my "Crissy's Cuties" line that I did for Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps.


 I coloured Ophelia with the following Copic markers:

Hair: 100, W3, 5. 8, E47, 49, B60, 63 

 note: I started with W3 and put it where I wanted highlights.  In retrospect, I should not have done that, and should have gone for the B60 instead.  I realized after the dark shades went on, that it would look better with cool highlights rather than warm.  And so I did what I could to go over and over them with both the blender pen to remove the warm grey.  Then I added B60 where the warm grey had been.   However, greys are very difficult to remove and don't respond well to the blender pen.  But oh well, live and learn, right?  Next time I do this hair colour, B60 only for the highlights!! 

Skin: E00, 01, 11, 13, 15, and R20 for blush

White bodice: B60, 63

Rock: C2, 4, 6, 8, B60

Red dress: R30, 32, 37, 39, 89

Wings: R000, 00, 20, 30, 32, 37, with E47 and W8 on the tips of the two antennae

Birdie: G02, 07, BG11, 72, C4 for shadow on tummy, and R35, 37 for the red parts

Background: Blender pen, BG72, 000, R32, 000

For the background, I tried a new-to-me technique.  Probably has been done before, but don't know the official name for it.  However, I will try to explain it here in case you want to try it out:

I used the blender pen prolifically throughout this technique, so for best results, make sure the blender pen is nice and juicy (refill it with a few drops of blender solution if it hasn't been filled in awhile). 
I uncapped the blender pen and BG72 and held the blender pen in the hand I was going to draw with (I'm right handed, so for me I held it in my right hand).  With BG72 uncapped and in my left hand, I swiped the tip of the blender pen onto the tip of BG72 to pick up some colour.  Then I drew little swirly lines on the background starting close to the image, with the blender pen.  I made small circular motions.  The little bit of BG72 quickly disappeared off the tip of the blender pen and made a nice faint mottled design. 
I had to keep re-swiping the tip of the blender pen onto the tip of BG72, every second or two.  It does take some time and patience to do this technique!!
I was quite random with where I placed the colour.  I decided I wanted to add the second colour so I repeated the same process using R32.  And just to keep the colours well blended, I also used the same process using R000, and BG000, so that there would be a very soft blending of light colours as well, mixing in with the deeper colours. 

Here is a close-up of the background so you can see it better:


I have a slew of challenges I am entering this card in today! Here's the list:

Kraftin Kimmie Stamps Challenge Blog: Rough It Up (distressing, tearing)
Just Us Girls: Dry Embossing (used my CB folder for a couple of the red panels)
Quixotic Challenges: Emboss It!  

Stampin' Sisters In Christ: Distressed or Vintage
One Stop Craft Challenge: Swirls & Pearls
Incy Wincy: Button Up!
Saturday Challenge: Buttons and Blooms
Ooh La La Creations: Bright and Cheerful (I think this one qualifies, agreed?) ;-)
The Character Cafe: Rhinestones, Ribbon and Red  (the pink lacy ribbon was a gift - thanks Deb!)
Oh, Alice! : Swirls
Paper Garden Projects:  Girly (could this get any girlier??)
Flutter By Wednesdays:  anything goes, as long as it has a butterfly, angel or fairy on it

Special Props to my friend Rach of Papercrafts by Rach for doing this card that inspired my creation here.  It isn't an exact CASE, but I had it up on my screen as a sort of guide and inspiration.  Way to go, Rach, you are a crafting genius!

Since this post is already uber long, if you have any questions in regards to any of the details, please shoot me an e-mail (addy on the watermark).  
Thanks for coming by for a visit.  God bless you in His mighty amazing Love for you!



54 comments:

  1. Well this is just jaw drop gorgeous. The hair is fabulously colored as well as that dress and I just love how you did the background. Thanks for sharing so much of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a beautiful card. I just love the way it is coloured, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only two words for it:

    +++ WOW +++ Perfect!!!

    Hugs Nimue

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm blown away by the awesome coloring of the image :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful...have a wonderful weekend!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely beyond words Crissy!! your drawing and coloring are downright gorgeous and breathtaking. Your niece will love it!! This is an image I will have to invest in.

    hugs,
    Chris

    Thanks so much for joining the Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge. What an awesome on the distressing/vintage challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Crissy ~~This is a MASTERPIECE!!
    I will be studying your work and Rach's :)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much detail in this card, little special touches everywhere! A lovely composition. And what fun to find a new LSS and one with good prices too, that always makes it better, doesn't it? I think its fun to see things in person. Thanks for participating in this week's Stampin' Sisters in Christ challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crissy, I don't even know where to begin. Wow!! This is just perfection...magnificent...you always achieve such amazing depth with your colouring. I really love what you did with her wings. My goodness, I'm just drooling here! I'm sure your niece will absolutely treasure this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! THis is a gorgeous piece of coloring handi-work and teh fact that it's your very own illustration is AWESOME! LOve it! Thanks so much for joining in at Just Us Girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! this is stunning Chrissy! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Oh, Alice!!
    Sammi
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning card with a wonderful image, Thank you for joining us at One Stop Craft Challenge this week and Good luck !
    Hugs
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is the most amazing card. So full of colour and passion. Gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing colouring Crissy.....so nice of you to explain how you did it......we can learn a lot from you!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh goodness...couldnt't stop staring at this...so beautiful and such lovely coloring/shading. Love how you did that red dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Crissy, what amazing colouring!
    Beautiful card!
    Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at One Stop Crafts this week!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!!
    Fair play Crissy you certainly know how to both colour and draw!!!
    I am speechless, this is one awesome piece of art honey!!
    your colouring is out of this world...
    off to mop the dribble off of my keyboard now!!!
    hugs RAchxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. well... your neice is one lucky person to be receiving this masterpiece. Stunning hun.

    Hugs
    Zoe xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh wowwwww Crissy,What a BEAUTIFUL card,i love your image and the colours.
    So gorgeous papers and swirls,

    Hugs Riet.xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutly stunning Crissy!!! I love how you did the background.. thanks so much for your 'tutorial' also I loveeeeeee this image from you and the coloring is really FANTASTIC!! I love the warm grey in the hair; its give a little extra effect and natural hair colour!! Big hugs xxxxxxxx Marley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the beautiful, rich colors you chose and the papers are beautiful. Your coloring is beyond outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  22. girl this is just breath taking!!! Oh what a gorgeous image but girl that coloring !!!!!! Oh I would love to be able to color like you do. That hair is just wow!! so much beautiful detail!!! H ugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning Crissy!! So beautifully coloured!! This is such a beautiful image to begin with but what you did with the background gives it such depth!! And even though you would have used a different colour on the hair next time I still think this version looks fantastic. Love the glitter on the wings too!!
    Hugs,

    Sarah ☺

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card, Crissy
    As always your colouring is amazing, beautiful details too.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!! This card is STUNNING!!!!

    I love the image and your colouring..well..wow!!

    Thanks for joining us over at one stop crafts xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Breath taking absolutley Gorgeous your colouring is a work of art thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just beautiful! Amazing job coloring - thanks for all the Copic details (I love my copics!).

    Thanks for playing the Paper Garden Projects Girly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous!! All the way around ~ image, coloring, papers, embellies, bling, you name it! Don't suppose you want to adopt some more relatives do you??? Seriously, she's gonna love this! If not I'll be glad to send her my address.
    R/

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is magical, your colouring is unique and so beautiful. I love this creation.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutley stunning card Crissy,Love the background,Thanks for sharing this ,Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whaow this is so beautifull, i love the image and also the colours they are so smooth.

    Hugs Katty

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi crissy

    your niece is a lucky girl too get this card
    it's amazing the coloring is fabulous
    great card

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow this is gorgeous your niece will just love it, beautiful image and papers, fab detail. Thanks so much for joining us at the OSCC this week. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. amazing card..such wonderfully detailed items on it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. YOU are amazing gf!!! Stunning stunning card. The hair is just fabulous...(as well as the coloring on the rest of it too!)
    Hope you are doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. GORGEOUS!!!! I love the hair even if you didn't use B60 to begin with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Serious WOW factor with this one Crissy! The reds and black hair are absolutely gorgeous! Amazing coloring and fabulous details. Your niece is going to LOVE this! Hope you're having a good Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW... absolutely Beautiful! To me, it doesn't matter what Copics you used because I can't even begin to think of how to try to mimic your amazing colouring! Thanks so much for joining us at The Character Cafe this week :) Oh, and these fairies of yours are wonderful... may just have to use them for sculpting inspriation!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sorry I’m late with my commenting busy, busy weekend!. You did a super job with this week’s challenge. Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls. We appreciate your participation and support. :-) Hope to see you again on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous card hun - love all the vibrant colours.
    Thanks for playing at SCSC this week.
    Hugs,
    Teri x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow!!! What a beautiful card!!!! I love the way you colored her hair!
    Love,
    Alla

    ReplyDelete
  42. absolutely stunning card Crissy, your colouring never fails to leave me speechless. Love this image too so am popping over to check out Kimmie's images
    x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Crissy, this is stunning, gorgeous, beautiful, incredible! Your talent is amazing my friend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW, your image is AMAZING as well as your card. LOVE the way you colored your image and all the embellishments are FABULOUS! Thanks for playing at THE CHARACTER CAFE this week! So glad I found your blog - becoming a follower!:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW, that is gorgeous!!!!! Thanks for joining the TCC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my how GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for joining us for this week's TCC Challenge.
    hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  47. WOW! This is just breathtakingly beautiful Crissy!!! Wonderful details!!
    LOVE IT!!
    Hugs
    Jodi =)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful card and fab use of buttons and blooms for this weeks challenge! Thanks for joining in the fun at SCSC :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  49. FABUTASTIC!!! You have amazing talent in your illustrations and your paper crafting. I love it all,
    your colouring, paper & colour selections and all the embellies especially the hinge at the bottom.
    Glad you joined us this week at the Cafe.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow is this card is fabulous! I love the red! Nice work. Thanks for joining us at Character Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  51. She's so beautiful Crissy, I'm 100% positive this card is just the thing for your niece. What amazing coloring! You're skills with Copics are second-to-none, absolutely stunning!!!! Hugs, Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Crissy,
    when I entered your blog, I feel like walking into a big gold mines, so many precious creations here, and I missed them so much that I haven't been here for a long time...and my, your cards are so stunning and beautiful, not that, it's just a master piece for each creation!! You did them so well!!
    Thank you for your nice comments for my projects, yes, we haven't chat for a long time:-((

    Your grandchild is sooooooooooooo cute, you must be proud of her.
    Take care, and Jesus love you !

    Greeting from Malaysia.
    Ying

    ReplyDelete
  53. omg this is totally wow... fantastic... cant stop looking at it... brilliant x

    ReplyDelete