Saturday, July 17, 2010

Copic Tutorial for Clothes and Hair


Hi Peeps!  I have two little tutorials to share with you today, on how I colour the folds of clothes and the shine and texture of hair using Copic markers.   I took still photos while I was colouring my Wags n Whiskers image called Bear Hug.   I hope I have given detailed explanations with each photo so that what I did will be clear to you.  If you still have questions, drop me a note and I'll try to clarify for  you.

Folds of a Dress:
I started by making a decision first of all where the light source would be and where the lightest highlights would be and the darkest shadows.  In this instance, I mentally placed the light source above her and slightly to the right.  This meant that the brightest points on her dress would lie on top of the folds that stick upward and outward towards the right.  The darkest shadows would be within the folds in between the highlighted areas (speaking of the area under her waist band) and within the little fold lines of her sleeve.  Also under teddy's foot and under the edge of his body where it rests against hers.
I started with the lightest red, R20 and with a very light stroke, lay down these strokes of colour.  I did not put R20 where I knew I wanted a very bright highlight.  By leaving the paper white where I want the brightest highlights to go, I don't loose them later to over-colouring... you'll see what I mean as we go on.

Now I have taken R22 and added a few strokes of this slightly darker shade beside most of my other strokes, with the exception of some of the narrow folds just under her waistband.  This just gives R20 a more gradual blend as we move towards darker reds.  I did not blend them together yet, just laid them down beside each other.

Here is where I added R24.  Again, no blending yet.  Just blocking in the colour.  Blending will come later!  I still left some parts not coloured.  In this case, I left the highlights but also I did not put colour where I want the deepest darkest shadows.  Reason for that is, the darker Copic colours tend to have a lot more pigment in them.  This thicker pigment cannot be layered as successfully.  Too many layers of dark colours will cause the ink to settle on the surface of the paper, and that does not usually look good.  It tends to look gloppy and shiny.  Is gloppy a word?  
So you can see where I left some areas un-coloured: at the bottom of her sleeve and under her sleeve,  under the teddy's foot, and the deep parts of the folds under the sash.

I made a bit of a colour jump here, all the way to R29.  I could have used R27, but I wanted her dress to have the appearance of a very deep red.  So R29 went into all the places I had left for the darkest shadows, and over a major portion of it on the front. I pulled some strokes up into the folds where I had left some white spaces.  Again, I was not concerned with blending at this point.

Here I added R59 under the arm and along her back, under the lock of hair that falls under her arm and beside teddy, in the narrow folds up near her sash, but very little there, and a teeny tiny bit along the folds at the bottom front of her dress.

Now I was ready to do some blending.  I took R20 and began to blend starting in the places I had left white on her dress. Because I left the highlights white, they remained very vibrant and light with only a thin layer of R20 over top.

I realized after blending with R20 and seeing how it didn't blend out enough that I would need to add R27 to smooth the transition between R24 and R29.  And so I added some R27 here:

I went back to R20 to continue to soften the blends all over, being careful to avoid the very light highlighted areas and the very dark shadows.  Also, I fixed some of the bleeds that happened using the blender pen.  Red is the hardest colour to remove with the blender.  But it can be done, up to a point.  The trick is to push the colour back towards the line a few times, then wait about five minutes for the paper to dry.  Then repeat the process:


After I was satisfied with the blends of reds, I took the colourless blender pen and did a few repeated feather strokes down the whole length of the dress.  I started at the bottom of the sash where I put the lightest red and pulled the blender pen downwards into the deep red below.

Here I went over the darkest darks with R59, and added a very dark shadow under teddy's foot. 

I added the finishing touches on the trim at the bottom of her dress.   And one more time blending with R20 on some of the streaks I had made with the blender pen.  Done the dress now!

Shine and Texture on Hair:
I started with small bits of colour using E50 and left areas white that I wanted to save for highlights and darkest shadows.  I like to leave highlights just below the part, and then again about half way down the locks and esp. on the outer or upper parts of waves or curls.

Here I added E53 in feather strokes, leaving some of the lighter shade showing.

E55 was added next.  Again, I was not concerned with blending, esp. because lines are appropriate to show hair (or fur for that matter).  I did not cover the whole area where I had laid down E50 and E53 but left some of those shades still showing. 

Here I added some E57.  Now here is the trick: I barely touched the tip to the paper.  Those tiny skinny lines are next to impossible with the brush tip of most Copics.  However, if you can barely let it touch the page, you can get these tiny lines!  Notice again, I used it very sparingly. I was careful to use it under her big swirly lock, under her arm and under her chin/cheek area because those places would naturally be in shadow. 

 I have added more feather strokes with E55 and 53, being careful to keep the highlighted areas white.  Tip:  Leaving a white highlight gives the appearance of something very smooth and shiny.  Don't blend out or add colour to white highlights, unless you want the appearance to look more textured, as in the case of her red dress. 

I went over the darks a few more times with more unblended feather strokes using E57.  I am satisfied now that the hair is done!

And now, here is the card I made once I was done the teddy and background too:


I am entering this card into the following challenges: 
The sketch is from Truly Scrumptious
Fussy and Fancy: Stitches, Scallops and Sparkle
Res-Q challenge: Metal and red
Whoopsi Daisy: Bright or hot colours
Incy Wincy: Distressing
Paper Sundaes: Lots of Layers
Flutter By Wednesday: 3 or more Layers
For Fun Challenges: Use your favourite colouring medium

I added some Diamond Dust glitter to her wings and Stickles to her waist band sash. 
Thanks for looking and if you are still with me, you're a trooper!
May God bless you and keep you in His Amazing Love!


40 comments:

  1. What a wonderful card, Crissy! Your colouring is stunning as always! I am going to have to come back and study your tutorials after we get home from our vacation. It's an honour to have you join our challenge at Paper Sundaes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great tutorial! Wonderful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crissy, this is so gorgeous! I will be refering back to your fantastic tutorial - your coloring is out of this world! Thank you for playing along with us at Paper Sundaes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card and wonderful tutorials. I will have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.
    mwah
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, thanks so much! Glad you joined us this week at Paper Sundaes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm hair challenged but no more!! Gorgeous artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Crissy, I love your tutorial - thank you for inspiring me. Heather:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful image beautiful card the colouring is super thankyou for sharing
    Thankyou for joining in at whoopsidaisy challenge
    luv
    linnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic tutorial, will definitely be bookmarking it since Red is definitely the one colour I have so much trouble with! Your colouring is stunning as is your card, love how you did the background around the main image. Thanks for playing in our Paper Sundaes "Lots of Layers" Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful card, so sweet! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Hugs Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOWSA!!! Beautiful!!! Thanks so much for the tutorials!! I can't wait to try your techniques!! Would love for you to share how you did her sweet cheeks....I always have trouble with those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your tutorial - it is so good to see how the professionals do it so we novices can learn. You blog is always so inspirational - with best wishes and hugs. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. a fabulous tutorial Crissy, thank you for sharing with us. I love how you create the dotty backgrounds too. This is a beautiful finished card.
    hugs, annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous card.. Thank you so much for this fabulous tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a beautiful card, Crissy, and a wonderful tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to share it. Glad you played along with us this week at Fussy and Fancy, and I hope to see you back again next week! Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tutorial! You are just so talented! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So wonderful card Crissy,i love the image and the colours.
    So gorgeous papers.

    Hugs Riet.xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crissy, Thank you very,very much. This type of tutorial is just what I'm looking for. Step by step!! I just bought the digital and tonight i'm going to have fun coloring, or I should say practicing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Crissy! Thanks for this wonderful tutorial! Your coloring is brilliant! I just love the way you colored her hair and dress - I will definitaly give this a try. Enjoy your weekend! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crissy your card is just heavenly. Wow you are the best colourer I know. I am adding you to my inspiration blogs so I can keep this tutorial to hand, its so excellent. Thanks for joining us at WhoopsiDaisy this month.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! excellent tutorial and gorgeous card! Thanks for playing RESQ challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Crissy, Absolutely fabulous card, love the colours, papers and the delicious details. As for the image, she's gorgeous and your colouring of her is spectacular.
    Great tutorial and thanks for sharing this with us at Truly Scrumptious, hope I'll be able to join you on of the 'Sundays' soon.
    hugs Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is soo lovely and sweet crissy
    you have just made a very beautiful card, and the colors are soo great.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is phenomenal and I LOVE how you have recorded and shared your coloring process. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty and I love the coloring on your image. Amazing! Thanks for joining the Fussy and Fancy girls. Hope you drop by and play again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful card love it. The tutorial is great very inspiring. Thanks for joining us at Fussy and Fancy this week.
    Love Susan
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chrissy, another work of art!! I love the image and the very pretty coloring!! Thank you for joining us at Flutterby Wednesday!
    Hugs
    Jodi =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. An amazing card...thank you so much for taking the time to do the tutorial! I love learning new techniques and ways to do things with my copics!! Thanks for fluttering with us this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow stunning Chrissy and what a fabulous tutorial...thanks for joining in with the Truly Scrumptious challenge
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabtastic card and a fab tutorial. Wish you could come her and show me how to do it as you make it look so easy. Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Extraordinary! You are so generous to share the tutorial -- I'll be thrilled to follow your step by step as soon as my DH springs for some Copics! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw your tutorial. Well I actually said ooooooh and my girls came running to see why I was drooling - hehehe. I could just look at each step over and over and over again. OK you've inspired me to try your dotting background the next time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful gift and for providing so much inspiration. Big Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely gorgeous! Awesome tutorial!!
    Thanks for joining us this week at Fussy & Fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is an AMAZING card and thank so much for the great tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is just so beautifully colored and such a great tutorial! Congratulations Ginger Gem, so deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW this is stunning, thanks for the tutorial. I use promarkers but got the idea better for my colouring, Thanks again Hazelxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW Crissy!! i learnt so much from that...thank you soooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks so much Crissy I just love your drawing and would like to thank you for sharing it with us It sure helps me to learn. Danielle

    ReplyDelete