Monday, October 17, 2022

Santa and Friends (again!)

I can't get enough of doing that night sky with the Oxide inks (if you look back a few posts, you will see I did this same technique on several Halloween cards)!  It is just so easy and quick and I love the effect I'm getting! 
This time I coloured my Santa and Snowman with Copic markers exclusively (no coloured pencil this time).  The trick with the super dark colours (I used RV99 on the deepest darkest parts of Santa's suit and hat) is to dip the tip of the marker into a tiny pool of blender solution first, real quick, just to keep the marker solution from making a thick shiny pool on top of the card stock. Also, the right card stock is important because it needs to be made to accept alcohol markers without causing them to bleed all over the place.  My fav that I use all the time is Hammermill Cover Copy 100 lb. 
Once I coloured my main image, and trimmed my paper to the size I wanted for my card, I die cut a circle to mask where I wanted the moon to be.  I also stamped off a second image on copy paper to make a mask for Santa and the snowman.  With both of those areas masked off, I was ready to begin the night sky. 
I started with a 100 black Copic marker to darken the outer edges of the sky.  I was planning on covering over with Oxide inks, but I find they are not as dark as I was going to want for my sky, so putting a layer of black underneath helped to darken it to the degree I wanted.  I avoided a ringed area around the moon in order to keep that area lighter and brighter and really intensify the moon glow. 
Then I used Distress Oxide Ink Black Soot and Chipped Sapphire for the darkest areas, again, avoiding the circular area closest to the moon.  For that area close to the moon, I used Speckled Egg.  Before removing the masks, I sprinkled some Copic White off the end of a small round paintbrush by tapping it gently until I had filled up the sky with sparkling stars, or, if you want, snowflakes - can't decide which one it is, and that's ok, I just love how it looks either way!
After I peeled off the masks, I used YR30 all over the moon, then drew in the craters with some cool light greys (I used a photo of the full moon to guide me).
The word Believe is one of my fav new word dies from Whimsy and it's going to see a lot of traction this season!
Product links below and remember that I do get compensated if you purchase one of the images I have created for Whimsy, and also if you follow my links to make a purchase, so thank you in advance if that's you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment