Wednesday, November 25, 2009

CASE of Anna Wight

Whimsy snowman front

I'm really happy I finally got some crafting time in! I am pleased to use one of my new releases from Whimsy Stamps. I call it "N'ice Friends". One of my favorite winter memories is making snowmen in the front or backyard. I could do it for what seemed like hours, which it probably was, because afterward I would come in with mitts and socks sopping wet, and my cheeks and nose bright red! Mom would sometimes have a hot chocolate waiting for me. Oh what sweet memories!!!
I love the quality of Whimsy Stamps, they are top of the line. And right now they have an amazing card making contest going on, which runs right through til Dec. 12. They are offering first, second and third place prizes of generous gift certificates for Whimsy Stamps! Plus you will even get a chance to vote for your favorite cards and help to decide who wins! Go here to check out the contest guidelines.
I must confess this is again a CASE of a card artist I admire very much. I love the work of Anna Wight at Sassy n Sweet Notes. Have you seen her cards and her stamp illustrations? She is so amazing, and her water coloring has always blown my mind. In fact, I owe a lot of what I know to studying her cards for hours on my computer screen! For this card, I put Anna's card up on my screen and CASEd it pretty close to what it was, at least in the sketch and style of embellishing.
I used the following Copic markers to color:
Background: E0000, 000, 00
Snowman's body: B60, 63
Carrot nose: YR12, 15, 18
Branch arms: E41, 43, 44
Bird's body: FB2, B28
Beak: Y32, 35, 28
Scarf and hat: BV01, 13, 17, B41, 45, G21, 28

On real snow, depending on the time of day, it can look warm gold to light amber at times in the bright sun, with very cool shadows from blue to violet. So I tried to remember that when choosing my colors for the snowman. That's why I put the very light E0000 to E00 in the background, and reached for B60 and 63 for the shadows. You can't see in the photo, but I put a single layer of E0000 all over the snowman where ever there was no shadow.

Whimsy snowman close

Well, I'm still not quite set up yet with a craft area, but I'm getting there. Perhaps I'll even dare to take a photo and show you my new digs in the coming days! Maybe, if I get brave enough!
Bless you!

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful coloring! I love how you give us close up shots! What did you use for the snow?
    I'd love to see your crafting area Crissy! There's no better time to share photos than right after you get it set up! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SOOOO adorable!! Love that birdie, and of course you know I'm a sucker for a cute snowman! =) And, what an honor for me, too! {{{HUGS!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely beauty and your colouring in is fab! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in SA, but a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic Crissy! That snowman is absolutely adorable!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Holly; I used Martha Stewarts Carrara Marble for the snow. Just swiped on some glue and sprinkled it on. It is my favorite snow embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Crissy - this is SOOOO adorable! I hope you're having a beautiful Thanksgiving! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful Crissy. I love all the stitching detail.. Thanks for all the description you give when you make a card.. The background it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet i love the little blue bird, gorgeous hun, hope that your are settled now and have a craft room sorted, have a great weekend hugs pops x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! How sweet is that.
    I love snowman's smile and the colours you've used.

    Hugs,
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh hon this is just adorable!!! I soooo love the coloring as always dear, just always so real life looking at your cards.

    Can't wait to see some pic's of your craft room, hope you get organized soon dear miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, this card looks so cute.

    Nice greetings
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome coloring on your snowman Crissy - wish I'd seen this before my snowman for the CCC blog! lol
    oh well, gonna try it next time!
    Pam Going Postal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your coloring is Superb. You have really brought this little guy to life

    ReplyDelete