Friday, November 5, 2010

Hubby's B-day card

I wanted to make a birthday card for hubby Mike with my new digital image, "Ride 'em Cowboy" from Whimsy Stamps.  I remembered that Anna Wight had some really sweet western cards in her gallery on Splitcoast Stampers, and so I went through her gallery and found this beauty of a card here.  It isn't exactly a CASE but I did keep her card up on my screen so I could copy the sketch and a bit of her embellishing style.   I love Anna's art and attribute a lot of what I learned about colouring to her.  I really appreciate her talent!

I coloured the image with Copics.  Now, I did something I would not normally do: I wanted to get the look of a buckskin horse, and I was not pleased with any of my choices in my Copic bucket.  So I started with E31 all over the horse body, and added E93 overtop.  The colour was a beautiful buckskin with those two shades.  HOWEVER!! This created a real problem for myself, that I was not anticipating.  What happened was, when I began to shade using E33 and 35, I was unable to get a good blend.  I tried going over everything with E31 to blend out the darker colours, but it actually just began to look like a dull grey!  I decided to quit trying to blend with Copics and instead use coloured pencil.  This was an attempt to rescue the colouring I had done, and it worked, thankfully. 
I won't bother giving you the Copic colours for this one, because I went over most of it, even the saddle, with coloured pencil, which altered the colours entirely.  Sigh... lesson learned! 
As in the Autumn Harvest Ride card I did with the workhorse two posts ago, I looked at various photos of horses so that I could get a realistic rendering of the shadows of the muscles. 
I am entering this card into the following challenges:
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Lexi's Creations: Anything Goes
Cards for Men: Anything Goes
Freshly Brewed: Anything Goes
Copic Creations: Brown and/or Make a Scene
Digi's With Attitude!: Anything Western
Little Red Wagon: Use the colour Red
A Spoon Full of Sugar: Relish to Embellish
Anything Goes Challenge Blog: The Letter B (my card is for a Boy and I used Black and Blue!)
Papertake Weekly Challenge: Penny For The Guy (guy cards)
Paper Sundaes: For the Boys
Splitcoast Stampers Free 4 All: Tail Waggin' Greetings (use an image with a tail)

Anyway, Mikey loved his card and I loved making it for him!  Here is the inside.  I thought of photoshopping out what I had written and then thought nah.  I don't mind sharing what I wrote to my Luvy with you.  I'm not embarrassed over how much I love him!  He is truly a gift from the Lord to me. I love him so much!   We just celebrated 25 years of marriage last month.   It doesn't feel like its been that long.  I'm so blessed!  
The beautiful birthday greeting is actually two stamps, from Oval Snippets.  They are in a beautiful set from Whimsy Stamps and are designed by Raindropecho Designs.  I think they are gorgeous! 

Well I've chatted on long enough! Don't forget that all month long there are fantastic sales and specials and giveaways going on at Whimsy. It's their second anniversary sale-abration! Check out the button at the top of my side bar for details. 
AND
A new rubber release is coming up in just a few days!!  So stay tuned, I will be in the hop on Wed Nov 10th to help launch that release!

God bless you and thank you for your kind visit today!


32 comments:

  1. Crissy, your coloring is so amazing hun!! I love this theme and I know hubby will love it!! :) Thanks for the reminder too...my hubby's b-day is coming up!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is stunning!!! I have to say,I love how you intensified your base colour "wash" with pencils, a genious way to add depth and dimension me thinks. Aside from your fabulous colouring of your amazing design, I love the rustic charm you've added with your choice of embellies. I hope you have a splendid weekend and Happy Birthday Mikey!!
    hugs, stephanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crissy, I think it is great that you shared your words on the inside. You should be proud to have such a fantastic man and not be afraid to let the world know it!!

    Your card is fabulous, by the way! I can see why Mike loved it!
    Sending birthday wishes!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. your work never fails to amaze me, this is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow awesome card. It really is a gorgeous card. Im glad you decided to play along this week at For Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crissy!! I was so excited to see you play along in the DWAC this week! How have you been? You should shoot me an email when you have a chance =)

    Love the card! But then again I love all your cards. I was peeking around your blog. Love the coloring tutorials. I am about to invest in Copics, so I will definately be back to watch that one again.

    Nice seeing you (Vitually lol)

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great guy card - beautifully colored. I'll have to pull that image out and color it, it will be hard to top yours, tho. C2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chrissy Im sure your husband was thrilled to receive such a fabulous card. Thanks for joining us at CFM, good luck with the Challenge. with hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you card is truely beautiful! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Digi's With Attitude!

    Tammylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. I love the affect that you achieved. This is a wonderful card.

    Thanks for joining us at Digi's With Attitude!

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! Your hubby will just LOVE this pretty colored carousel horse!! I love this and all of your work, it's gorgeous! Wish hubby a Happy Bday!!
    Hugs
    Jodi =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Card, Beautiful Coloring! Thanks for playing along at Digi's With Attitude!
    ~Lisa a.k.a ScripperScrapper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome card Crissy! Love your new image and it's colored to perfection. Thanks so much for joining us at For Fun this week. Hope to see you back next week. "Hugs" Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, stunning and breathtaking! So realistic looking! Your coloring is amazing! Wonderful detailing and embellishments! Gorgeous work! Thanks so much for playing along with us at For Fun Challenges. Hope you’ll be joining us for the next challenge.

    ~Hugs~Kym

    ReplyDelete
  15. great card love it thanks for joining us at anything goes x sue x

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAUTIFUL! what more can I say.
    Great job. Thanks for playing with us at cards for men. Good luck on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!Stunning card.Your shading is absolutely amazing.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful card Crissy,I love the image and the colours.
    So gorgeous papers.

    Hugs Riet.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not much of a commentor, but I HAD to say I just LOVE this card! Your coloring is GORGEOUS! I am sure your husband will love it!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning stunning work Crissy! Your hubby must've been real pleased to receive this awesome card from you..but then again he's received 25 years worth of stunning cards from you so I guess he isn't too surprised with the quality/awesome work :) Congratulations on your anniversary and may you have 25 years more! :) Thanks for joining Copic Creations Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I've been staring at the way you have coloured in the muscle structure ... UNREAL! I have a LOT of growing to do!
    Your horses are SO stunning! And you have captured the feel of an image so well in your card design!
    Hugs
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card love your colouring and the background looks fab thanks for joining us at Digi's With Attitude!
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crissy, I haven't been over to see you in a while, and I've missed seeing your amazing creations! I could stare at that image for forever! It's like I can see his muscles rippling!! You are so talented! I love this!! Thanks so much for joining us at Papertake Weekly, and hope you join us again next week!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my word is this beautiful! I agree with Annika...that muscle structure shading is unreal!! Totally amazing. Happy Birthday to your hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The coloring looks amazing! Who wouldn't love this card! It is totally 'husband' material! Great papers and layout. Thanks so much for playing our Western theme at Digi's With Attitude! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Crissy, congratulations on your 25 years of 'happiness' and may you have 25 more filled with love, laughter and happiness.
    Your card is truly awesome and your colouring of that amazing image of yours is spectacular.
    So glad you joined us at Copic Creations and I WILL join you in your challenge before too long - promise!!
    hugs Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome card...hubby's gonna love it! Thanks so much for playing along with us at FFC!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Crissy, this card is awesome! I love this image and your coloring is fabulous. Thanks for joining our Copic Creations challenge. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well your colouring looks wonderful to me! What a gorgeous card and I bet your hubby loved it! Thanks for playing at Digi's With Attitude! Viv x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so gorgeous, and your colouring is amazing!! Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes!

    ReplyDelete