Sunday, May 10, 2009
This week's challenge is brought to us by the lovely Diva Anna Wight!
She would like us to do a project "for the boys", so I made a card that I could easily give a male. It's not too frilly or flowery of course!
I stamped Bossie's Bad Mood with Tsukeneko Tuxedo Black onto Manga Drawing Pad paper. I stamped her again on a post it note, cut her out and masked my first stamped image with it. Then I stamped the Hay Stack over top, removed the mask, and voila. Bessie is sitting on top of the hay!
I proceeded to color the images with my Copics (colors pictured below). However, I was having a hard time with the whites on Bessie. I wanted the light to look like early morning light coming from the right side of the picture. So I knew I needed to put her left side in deep shadow. Only the colors I originally chose for her looked awful. I used too much grey and she looked like she was made of mud. So, I restamped her, colored her better, cut her out and pasted her down on top of the first one. So much for masking my images! lol These things happen.
I used a lot of blue in the deep shadows on the left both on the hay and on Bessie's white areas. Warm light makes cool shadows, so cool blue is often the best choice on whites that are bathed in warm light. If you have ever studied the shadows the evening sun makes on snow, you will notice they are blue and sometimes blue-ish purple, while the sun lit areas on the snow are a washed out amber or golden color. So for the white of Bessie that was closest to the light source, I used E50 and E51. And in the shadows I used the blues listed below and some of the lighter cool grays overtop of these.
I only used the blender pen on Bessie's snout, to get a bit of a highlight on the right side of it.
The photo's colors are a bit off; I was adjusting them and I went a bit overboard! The first photo I had looked washed out, so I punched up the color tones, but went a bit too far... oh well, these things happen. I think I have said that twice now! lol
I used Mega Rectangles as a template for the main image, and sponged Tea Dye Distress Ink around it while it was still in the template to create the white edges.
Main image is popped up on foam tape. Brads are from Dollarama, Raffia from Michael's. Other High Hopes stamps I used on this card are Single Cow Spot, Cow Spots Background, and the saying, Hay!
Colors for the Hay Stack:
Colors used on Bessie:
Don't forget to link up a pic of your challenge card/project on the High Hopes Blog for a chance to win two free High Hopes Stamps! Anna's card on the blog will show you which ones are up for grabs this week. Thanks for looking today, and God bless you! He loves you!